Doubt regarding thread creation in RTEMS

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Jul 20 15:54:08 UTC 2020

On 20/07/2020 17:16, Richi Dubey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to map out how a task gets scheduled according to a
> scheduling algorithm once a user writes rtems_task_create() and later
> rtems_task_start() in the source file.
>
> On debugging with gdb, I came to realize that the
>
> rtems_task_start() function calls _Thread_Start()
> (cpukit/rtems/src/taskstart.c : 56) then _Thread_Start() calls
> _Thread_Dispatch_enable() ( cpukit/score/src/threadstart.c : 50 ) then
> _Thread_Dispatch_enable() calls _Thread_Do_dispatch( )
> (cpukit/score/src/threaddispatch.c : 377)
> and _Thread_Do_dispatch calls _Thread_Get_heir_and_make_it_executing()
> (threaddispatch.c : 282).
>
> _Thread_Get_heir_and_make_it_executing( cpu_self ) forcefully executes
> the heir thread on the cpu_self.
> (cpukit/include/rtems/score/threadimpl.h : 1117)
>
> If I am right, this flow of code makes the thread created by
> rtems_task_create(..., id) execute on a CPU when rtems_task_start(...,
> id) is called.  Shouldn't this decision of executing a thread on any
> CPU be in the hands of the scheduler?  I'd be grateful if someone
> could provide their views on this.

Yes, the scheduler decides which of the ready threads gets a scheduler
assigned. In _Thread_Start() please have a look at:

_Thread_Clear_state_locked( the_thread, STATES_ALL_SET );

> Also, what is thread_dispatch_disable_level?

This is a per-CPU variable. If thread_dispatch_disable_level != 0, then
thread changes are prohibited on this processor. If it changes from 1 to
0, then it is checked if a thread dispatch is necessary.

> Please know that I skipped reading some if conditions and some code
> related to ISRs and other things that weren't directly related to
> scheduling.
When you use the debugger to figure out what is going on I would step in
to each function you don't know.