rtems-libbsd: 6-freebsd-12 branch

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Wed Jul 29 04:40:03 UTC 2020

On 28/07/2020 17:16, Christian Mauderer wrote:

> On 28/07/2020 17:14, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM Christian Mauderer
>> <christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I sent a few patches about ten days ago that add some features (like a
>>> GPIO driver for i.MX that is based on the RTEMS i.MX GPIO driver that I
>>> also posted). I would like to push them soon.
>>>
>>> Normally I would have pushed them to master and 5-freebsd-12. But the
>>> later one is now a release branch and shouldn't get new features. Would
>>> that be a good time to create a 6-freebsd-12 branch?
>>>
>> I would let Sebastian or Chris decide. Do we anticipate having a
>> paired release of RTEMS-6 with FreeBSD-12? (Probably so, since we try
>> to reduce the release cycle time.)
FreeBSD 12 is already released. A FreeBSD 13 release is planned in March
2021.
> If not: Would it rather be a 6-freebsd-stable branch? With that name we
> can update it to 13 as soon as FreeBSD makes that jump.
An earlier version of libbsd with just a master branch tracked a stable
FreeBSD release branch (I think it was 8, but it doesn't matter). It was
very hard to synchronize later with the FreeBSD master for the next
release. This is why we have now this FreeBSD 12 tracking branch. This
branch is not intended to be updated to the next release branch of
FreeBSD. The branch name should indicate which FreeBSD branch we track.