Issues when adding a multi-port PCI serial card

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Mar 13 20:49:58 UTC 2020

On 14/3/20 6:16 am, dufault at hda.com wrote:
>> On Mar 13, 2020, at 08:42 , Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>>> Finally, after initial successful loop-back testing, I tried to start an RTEMS shell on one of the new ports.
>>>
>>> *Here I'm trying hard to avoid all-caps because this took the most time of all (it should have been easiest), and I gave up!*
>>>
>>> * HOW (sorry) do you spawn a shell on a serial port?  The documentation, at https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/shell/configuration_and_init.html that suggests just setting the shell device name to "/dev/console", or in my case "/dev/ttyS9", is incorrect.  The shell startup is intent on using "stdin" and "stdout".

I am guessing it is a bug. I tripped over some issues ...

https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/3859

>> I don't know this off hand.
>
> I don't need the shell spawned on one of the added serial ports.  I thought it would be an easy way to test the driver, but it isn't.  Obviously the "telnet" daemon does some monkeying around with "stdin" and "stdout" in order that it works via telnet.

A serial port should work with just the paths. You should also be able to do the
same method as telnet and assign open descriptors then call the shell's main loop.

> * It would be great if it worked but I'm not going to investigate it.

I wonder if the issues you see are part of what I have fixed with ..

https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-February/057422.html

The patch has not been pushed. I have pushed the changes to the 4.11 branch and
I am planing to update the master version this week.