BSP Wiki Clean Up

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun Mar 15 16:12:04 UTC 2020

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:55 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 2:05 PM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:
> >
> > I put devel@ back on
> >
> > On Sat, Mar 14, 2020, 2:23 PM Mritunjay Sharma <
> mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am very much willing to help with this thing. Being a bit new to the
> community, I just wanted to know that while deleting the wiki content on
> obsolete BSPs, do I need to report it before deleting and create a ticket
> for it or I can straightaway delete it?
> >

> > I hate to start with use your judgement but...
> >
> > You could just ask on the list for deletion confirmation. My impression
> is that a deletion pass will be quick.
> >
> > For moving content to rtems-docs, that will be patches which need
> review. So post those.
> >
> > And I suspect some BSPs will have pages that are useless stubs. Ask
> about just deleting instead of converting them.
> >
> > Thanks for pitching in.
>
> I would prefer to have an analysis of the difference between what has
> been migrated already
> https://docs.rtems.org/branches/master/user/bsps/index.html versus
> what is in the wiki. If some content needs to move out of the wiki,
> then a patch to add it to the docs would be good, then we could
> discuss on the list whether or not to move that content or to delete
> it.  If content has been migrated or the migration discussion leads to
> a decision to delete, then we should remove that page. Removing a page
> requires an admin privilege, so I think a list of pages to be removed
> should be maintained somewhere like
> https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/BSP

I have made a sweep to delete all text which has links to non-existent pages
since those do not have to be reviewed.

My next pass is to delete all pages for BSPs and ports that have been
removed.
That is a simple review process.

After that, what should be left is a list of pages which need manual review
extract/convert useful content to the Users Guide. This should be one patch
and email per BSP/Wiki page.

I also found this list:

https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/TBR/UserManual which has a variety of topic
pages which need review and either deleted or merged into the appropriate
documentation.

--joel