Successfully built EPICS 7 with RTEMS 5 for mvme6100

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Mar 19 14:07:23 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 4:20 AM <Jan.Sommer at dlr.de> wrote:

> [...]

psim has a network driver for the legacy stack. I have no idea how to run
it. It would be great to see that BSP with NIC running again and then
updated to the new stack. I don't know that there is a PowerPC simulator
configuration with networking available at the moment.

> > We have had good experiences with RTEMS+libbsd with the Qemu ARM Zynq.
> > We have been able to telnet to the RTEMS target from Linux and use the
> RTEMS
> > NFS client to mount Linux files plus dynamic loading works. Personally I
> would
> > start with that since the goal is EPICS not fixing a BSP. :)
> >
> > My second would be Qemu i386 pc386 but I don't know the status of libbsd
> on
> > pc386 at the moment. This should work the same as the Zynq qemu but I
> > personally don't know. Heinz.. do you have recent experience on it?
> >

> If the patches here (
> https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/devel/2020-March/058119.html) make it
> through the review, rtems-libbsd should compile again for the pc386 BSP.

Ping Sebastian to push them.

> We also could successfully run network tests in qemu with tap devices.
> Next step are real hardware tests. There were some issues during
> initialization,

We were re-establishing our hardware testing setup after moving offices a
twice over the past three years. When we got to the PC386, we had trouble.
We tried an embedded PC and a couple of odd desktops old enough to have
COM1. COM1 support appears to be broken for us. That's unfortunate for
automated testing.

> but we were interrupted with the preparations for Corona.

+1

I'm starting at home today. Not sure how long this will go on. I've done a
lot of work remote but never done extended work from home. This will be
interesting.

--joel