Release sources

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Mar 26 15:17:19 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 7:28 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 2:26 AM Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 26/03/2020 07:54, Chris Johns wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-03-20 14:57, Chris Johns wrote:
>>
>> Only having sources in `sources` is a change from how RTEMS has been released in
>> the past so I feel this needs to be discussed and approved before I make any
>> changes.
>>

>> I will place all source in `sources`.
>>
>> Sorry I missed this email. Placing the sources in a directory is an improvement from my point of view.

+1

> Does this mean you will end up with one source tarball with every repo in it?

A release contains basically a snapshot of all source code that goes
into it, including tools. The 'sources' directory will contain all of
those snapshots, each one a tarball of the respective source (e.g.,
automake-x.y.z, rtems-x.y, etc.).

Look at the 4.11.3 release for an example of how it was being done:
https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/4.11/4.11.3/

See that there is a sources directory, but that we also put "our"
source in the top-level. Chris' plan is to also put the rtems-*.tar.xz
underneath sources/

(I discussed with him briefly before, and am in favor of this
approach, but held my vote :))