Release sources

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Thu Mar 26 16:04:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 9:40 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

>> +1
>>

>> > Does this mean you will end up with one source tarball with every repo in it?
>> >
>> A release contains basically a snapshot of all source code that goes
>> into it, including tools. The 'sources' directory will contain all of
>> those snapshots, each one a tarball of the respective source (e.g.,
>> automake-x.y.z, rtems-x.y, etc.).
>>
>> Look at the 4.11.3 release for an example of how it was being done:
>> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/releases/4.11/4.11.3/
>>
>> See that there is a sources directory, but that we also put "our"
>> source in the top-level. Chris' plan is to also put the rtems-*.tar.xz
>> underneath sources/
>

> Hmm.. Why would we mix RTEMS originated source packages with
> third party source and patches. This directory is already quite lengthy.
>
> I must have missed the clear statement of what the advantage is.

The advantage is that all the source that belongs to the release is
consolidated. all rtems packages are prepended by rtems- so they are
still easily identifiable in the sources subdirectory.

Ideally, the readme will simply direct the user to run the
script/command necessary to build things :) I think this is simpler,
and users will still be able to find specific sources as they need by
looking in one place.