ticket #3892 Doubt

Amar Takhar amar at rtems.org
Sun Mar 29 22:13:39 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-30 00:43 +0530, Anmol Mishra wrote:
> Hello,
> While reading carefully, I can't completely understand regarding "high-level
> management utility"   Can you please elaborate on what is being asked or
> referenced?

Most if not all the utilities currently exist in their own respective source.
What this means is most functionality should be pushed to a general library with
the utility itself making calls to the API.

This gives us several advantages:

  - Small code base due to reusing code.
  - Testable API that covers all major aspects of rtems-tools.
  - More organisation of like-functionality in the code base.
  - Easier documentation for developers.
  - API versioning to let users easily write their own Python programs to take
    place of our CLI tools.

The only functional differences between tools is the arguments it takes.  Those
arguments can be directly linked to API calls thus making the front-end binaries
simplistic.  The binaries themselves will serve as an example of how to use the
API in a custom Python program.

Amar.