Traceability from specification to source code?

Helder Silva Helder.Silva at edisoft.pt
Tue Mar 31 18:11:03 UTC 2020

Hi Sebastian,

The traceability (e.g. ECSS and also DO) have several layers:
-From the requirements specification (and/or interface requirements) to the architectural components (and/or interfaces).
-From the architectural components to detailed design components.
-From the detailed design components to source code.

The traceability to the source code line number is too much, not required and increases significantly the future maintainability of the source code and specification.

In the specification of the interface requirement (RTEMS-ACFG-OPT-MAXBARRIERS.yml) I would put the reference to the RTEMS API Architecture Component (or whatever architecture component). From the RTEMS API Architecture Component to the Barrier Detailed Design Component (defined in the Doxygen annotations in the source code). In this way we will have the full traceability from requirements to the source code.

Comments to the https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems-qual.git/tree/spec/acfg/opt/RTEMS-ACFG-OPT-BDBUFBUFFERMAXSIZE.yml :
-Please take into mind the future maintainability of the specification and source code. Do we need all these options?
-The appl-config-option-description should be something like "The CONFIGURE_BDBUF_BUFFER_MAX_SIZE (or value if you wish) shall define the maximum size of the buffer in bytes".

My vote would be to not place specification/requirements directly in the source code, only doxygen tags (design components), and to not place references to the source code line number.

Hope it have helped,
Helder