Different build time warnings for ticket 3908

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun May 3 16:43:49 UTC 2020

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 7:38 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM Richi Dubey <richidubey at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hii,
> >
> > I know everyone is quite busy with the coming release but I'd be glad
> > if someone could answer a quick question: Does the gcc version affect
> > build time warnings for a bsp?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 7:56 PM Richi Dubey <richidubey at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Heyy everyone,
> > >
> > > Please help me clear a small doubt of mine. When I was building leon3
> > > to remove the warnings, I encountered the following warnings:
> > > http://p.ip.fi/2-Dp. While Dr. Sherrill's warning in
> > >
> https://ftp.rtems.org/pub/rtems/people/joel/warnings/warnings-5-20200408/warnings-all-5-20200408.txt
> > > are sorted by bsps(I guess) have only the following warnings for
> > > the leon3 bsp: http://p.ip.fi/SxO7.
> > >
> > > Why am I getting extra warnings? I have the latest rtems and the
> > > pre-installed gcc on ubuntu.
> > >

> The "pre-installed gcc" shouldn't come into play here, because you are
> using an RTEMS cross-compiler, e.g., sparc5-rtems-gcc. My best guesses
> for why you will see different results:
> 1. Different configure command line. I see libnetworking in your
> build, probably Joel has --disable-networking

IMO there is no point in looking at warnings in code which is mostly third
party.
Plus libnetworking is considered legacy.

> 2. Different toolchain version. Make sure you build the toolchain to
> match, in your case maybe it is master/master of rtems.git and
> rtems-source-builder.git?

My toolset should have been current as when the build job started.
I build tools and then do the warning sweep.

> 3. Different RTEMS version. Perhaps Joel's report is based on a
> version of rtems earlier than yours. His build indiciates a date stamp
> of April 8, and you build around April 29, so there is 3 weeks
> difference in your versions maybe.

This is possible as is using clang/llvm vs gcc. They are distinctly
different.

--joel