GSoC: RTEMS directory for FreeBSD imports

Niteesh G. S. niteesh.gs at gmail.com
Sun May 10 08:17:31 UTC 2020

This thread is a continuation of "GSoC 2020: Implementation of OFW
functions".

A summary of points discussed in that thread is given below.

Below is a short description of my GSoC project. For more information please
refer to the wiki.
https://devel.rtems.org/wiki/GSoC/2020/Beagle_FDT_initialization
My GSoC project deals with refactoring the Beagle BSP to add support for FDT
based initialization. As part of this process, I will have to import the
pin mux driver
into RTEMS which currently is present in libBSD.
This would require having support for OFW functions which are currently not
implemented
in RTEMS. Some drivers(eg: imx_iomux.c) which require these functions
provide
a local implementation using libFDT.

In the previous thread, it has been decided to import the OFW functions from
FreeBSD but the directory where it has to be imported into RTEMS is not yet
decided. This thread has been created to discuss it.
It should also be noted that some drivers for example I2C, SPI are being
imported
into RTEMS from FreeBSD for some BSPs.
Now, since a large amount of code being imported from FreeBSD it is planned
add to a synchronization script(Yet to discussed in detail) to stay in sync
with
FreeBSD.

So now is it necessary to choose a directory that is future compatible with
the
synchronization script. We should also discuss if we want to have all
imports
under a single directory or have the imports in their respective
directories for eg
a device driver could be placed in its BSP directories than in a common
folder
along with other imports. But it should also be noted that the latter makes
it
difficult to sync and the former.

Thanks,
Niteesh.