Help on how to configure for user-defined memory protection support (GSoC 2020)

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed May 27 14:59:42 UTC 2020

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 6:12 PM Utkarsh Rai <utkarsh.rai60 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 9:32 PM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

>> > The low-level mmu implementation for ARMv7 BSPS has an 'ARMV7_CP15_START_DEFAULT_SECTIONS' which lists out various regions with appropriate permissions and then are grouped by a linker script. This should be the standard way of handling the placement of statically allocated regions.

>> > If we go with the above assumption, we will need to increase the size of the page i.e. pages of 16Kib or 64Kib. Most of the applications won't require stacks of this size and will result in wasted memory for each thread. I think it would be better if we have multiple pages, as most of the applications will have stacks that may fit in a single 4KiB page anyway.
>> >

>> I mis-typed. I meant I think we can assume stacks fit in one page. It
>> would be impossible to deal with otherwise.

>> > We also need to consider the cases where the stack sharing would be necessary-
>> >
>> > - We can have explicit cases where an application gets the attributes of a thread by pthread_attr_getstack() and then access this from another thread.
>> >
>> > -  An implicit case would be when a thread places the address of an object from its stack onto a message queue and we have other threads accessing it, in general, all blocking reads (sockets, files etc.) will share stacks.
>> >
>> > This will be documented so that the user first shares the required stacks and then performs the above operations.
>> >

>> Yes. It may also be worth thinking whether we can/should "relocate"
>> stacks when they get shared and spare TLB entries are low. This would
>> be a dynamic way to consolidate regions, while a static way would rely
>> on some configuration method to declare ahead of time which stacks may
>> be shared, or to require the stack allocator (hook) to manage that
>> kind of complexity.
>

> Sorry but I am not sure I clearly understand what you are trying to suggest. Does relocating stacks mean moving them to the same virtual address as the thread-stack it is being shared with but with different ASID?

No. We don't want to break the 1:1 pa:va mappings. That is another
design constraint, I suppose.

If a user wants to share several sets of tasks stacks mutually with
each other, using the same permissions (e..g, RW), then it would be
efficient to pack the sharing tasks together in the same page/segment
to use 1 TLB entry for them. This is a thought for an optimization
down the road, maybe.

Gedare