Problem re-building RTEMS docs

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie
Tue Nov 3 16:00:57 UTC 2020

Dear all,

 I am trying to edit RTEMS docs to fix an error regarding large comments (ticket #4163).

I'm working out of the rtems-doc submodule of rtems-central,
and following instructions in the Soft Eng manual (6.1 Soft Devpt (Git users)

I have created a branch and edited rtems-docs/eng/coding-80cols.rts

Before creating/emailing patches, I want to rebuild the eng document.

However ./waf configure fails in rtems-docs

:- ./waf configure
Waf: The wscript in '/Users/butrfeld/REPOS/rtems-central/modules/rtems-docs' is unreadable
Traceback (most recent call last):
... stuff deleted
  File "/Users/butrfeld/REPOS/rtems-central/modules/rtems-docs/common/conf.py", line 86, in <module>
    import sphinx_rtd_theme_rtems
  File "/Users/butrfeld/REPOS/rtems-central/modules/rtems-docs/common/sphinx_rtd_theme_rtems/__init__.py", line 9, in <module>
    import sphinx
ImportError: No module named sphinx

I tried messing around with python/pip versions, virtual environments,
and using pip(3) to re-install sphinx and sphinxcontrib-bibtex.

Pip can see these packages - why can't waf?

:- pip list
Package                       Version
----------------------------- -----------
Sphinx                        3.3.0
sphinxcontrib-applehelp       1.0.1
sphinxcontrib-bibtex          1.0.0
sphinxcontrib-devhelp         1.0.1
sphinxcontrib-htmlhelp        1.0.2
sphinxcontrib-jsmath          1.0.1
sphinxcontrib-qthelp          1.0.2
sphinxcontrib-serializinghtml 1.1.3

This is on OS X Catalina

All suggestions welcome

Best regards,
  Andrew
Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Lero at TCD, Head of Software Foundations & Verification Research Group
School of Computer Science and Statistics,
Room G.39, O'Reilly Institute, Trinity College, University of Dublin
                         http://www.scss.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/