Out of tree builds with waf?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Thu Nov 5 16:45:39 UTC 2020

On 05/11/2020 17:09, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 10:04 AM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I tried to do an out of tree build with waf:
>
>     ~/src/rtems/waf configure --rtems-config $PWD/config.ini --out
>     $PWD/build --top $HOME/src/rtems
>
>     This seems to work, however, I get a message like this (CWD /home
>     ...):
>
>     ~/src/rtems/waf --out $PWD/build --top $HOME/src/rtems
>     Waf: Entering directory
>     `/home/EB/sebastian_h/src/rtems-source-builder/tmp/build'
>     Waf: Leaving directory
>     `/home/EB/sebastian_h/src/rtems-source-builder/tmp/build'
>     'build' finished successfully (0.332s)
>     Waf: Entering directory
>     `/home/EB/sebastian_h/src/rtems-source-builder/tmp/build/sparc/erc32'
>     CWD /home/EB/sebastian_h/src/rtems-source-builder/tmp is not under
>     /home/EB/sebastian_h/src/rtems, forcing --targets=* (run distclean?)
>     Waf: Leaving directory
>     `/home/EB/sebastian_h/src/rtems-source-builder/tmp/build/sparc/erc32'
>     'build_sparc/erc32' finished successfully (0.438s)
>
>     I this something to worry about? Are out of tree builds supported
>     by waf?
>

> I hope they can be. Or at least the build directory name changed based
> on user input.
>
> For automated testing, I have been building multiple BSPs in parallel
> completely independently. I don't know a way to do this with waf.

If out of tree builds and a read-only source tree should be supported by
the build system, then this should be added to the goals in
eng/build-system.rst.

I need some support from a waf expert to add proper support for this to
the wscript.

Another open issue is the --target option which currently doesn't work.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Sebastian HUBER
email: sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de