Proposal for hardware configuration dependent performance limits

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Mon Nov 23 09:14:56 UTC 2020

On 22/11/2020 22:45, Chris Johns wrote:

>>> Thanks and sorry for not picking up on this before now. It makes sense to do it
>>> this way.
>>>
>> I chimed in on the idea of not using a hash, because of the opaqueness
>> of the specification and difficulty to derive what should be
>> reasonable performance based on small configuration changes from a
>> standard set. In that case, we do punt some responsibility to the end
>> user to start from a configuration with a known hash and performance
>> bounds before defining their own. Otherwise, the best they can do is
>> like what we do: run it, record the measurements, and use those as the
>> bounds moving forward.
>>
>> When a user sends us a report saying my configuration
>> a/lwjeVQ:H#TIHFOAH doesn't match the performance of
>> z./hleg.khEHWIWEHFWHFE then we can have this conversation again. :)
> If the user is basing their figures on a set of results we publish would
> providing a description in the YAML be sufficient? This moves the burden of
> maintenance from being internal to RTEMS to outside. And I am fine if there are
> mandatory informational fields.

In the proposal the performance limits are optional in the
specification. The specifications only enables you to check limits in
test runs. We should probably not integrate limits for custom hardware
in the RTEMS Project. We could add performance limits for some
evaluation boards or simulators which we use for regular test runs to
notice performance regressions. The configuration hashes included in the
RTEMS Project need to be documented (in the BSP build item) to have a
reverse mapping, e.g. XrY7u+Ae7tCTyyK7j1rNww== is board X revision Y
running at 123MHz with SMP enabled, etc. Users which want to monitor
performance requirements have to use also this approach:

1. You select a board to use for long term performance tests.

2. You define a set of configurations you want to test.

3. You do an initial run of the test suite for each configuration. The
RTEMS Tester provides you with a machine readable output (test data) of
the test run with the raw test output per test executable and some meta
information (TODO).

4. A tool reads the  test data and the RTEMS specification and updates
the specification with the performance limits obtained from the test run
(maybe with some simple transformation, for example increase maximum by
10% and round to microseconds).

5. You review the performance limits and then commit them to your
private branch.

6. Later you run the tests with a new RTEMS commit, get the performance
values, compare them against the limits stored in the specification, and
generate a report.

Maybe a configuration option for the RTEMS Tester should be added which
allows you to set the performance hash and ignore the hash provided by
the test output. This could be used to compare a custom board with
values obtain from an evaluation board.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Sebastian HUBER