Old network stack and aarch64

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Oct 6 13:26:39 UTC 2020

On Tue, Oct 6, 2020 at 2:30 AM Sebastian Huber <

> Hello,
>
> building the old network stack for aarch64 fails with:
>
> cpukit/librpc/src/xdr/xdr_float.c:121:2: error: #error "xdr_float.c:
> unknown CPU"
>    121 | #error "xdr_float.c: unknown CPU"
>
> Should we enable RTEMS_NETWORKING more selectively similar to RTEMS_SMP
> and RTEMS_MULTIPROCESSING?

Yes for sure. In the autoconf system, we just excluded a few CPUs.

But should we go farther in waf? I see two possibilities:

+ Force legacy stack off for the same CPUs as autoconf build plus
   all the BSPs that have new stack support.

+ Only enable it for the specific BSPs that have HAS_NETWORKING
   in their Makefile.am?  A quick grep shows 37 of 84 families would be
   white listed this way.

The first is very easy. The second is a bit more painful but puts us on
a path of identifying specifically what has to transition.

With a bit of discussion on the rules for being white listed to use the
legacy stack, I would lean to the second solution.

--joel