[Announcement]: Developed an automating tool that can help RTEMS conform with Python coding style

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Wed Sep 2 22:51:28 UTC 2020

On 3/9/20 7:39 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 2:00 PM Mritunjay Sharma
> <mritunjaysharma394 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> After recently seeing the Python Development
>> guidelines for RTEMS, I found that
>> "RTEMS Tools should be piped through the yapf Python code
>> formatter before it is committed or sent for review."
>>
>> This gave me an idea to build something that can automate
>> this process and take the pressure off both from
>> Maintainers as well as Contributors.
>>
>> I am pleased to tell you that I have successfully implemented this
>> idea by building an open-source GitHub action called 'autoyapf'.
>>
>> Link to the tool is: https://github.com/marketplace/actions/autoyapf
>> Link to the github repo: https://github.com/mritunjaysharma394/autoyapf
>>
>> What it does is that whenever a maintainer pushes a python code in the repo
>> or merges a PR of a contributor containing Python code, autoyapf action is
>> triggered and it automatically checks if the file is piped in 'yapf' format or not
>> and if not then it will automatically commit the changes in concerned file
>> to make it follow the PEP 8 style guide using yapf.
>>

> Interesting concept. I think this would be more useful a bit earlier
> in the development pipeline though. What about as a pre-commit
> githook?

It is interesting and I like the idea of some support but we are not a github
hosted project so workflows will not work for us. Plus at the moment the repos I
am interested in need to be converted to yapf for any support like this to work.
The yapf changes are not too bad, the pylint changes, which are worth doing,
take a lot longer.

I am running `yapf -i myfile.py` before I create the commit. This way I check
the changes as part of a review before creating the commit.

Could the precommit hook simply stop the commit and force you to run yapf if
there is a required change? Would this require you have yapf installed?