does rtems 5.1 support create a core dump file when accessing a invalid address or other fatal errors?

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Sep 15 23:32:59 UTC 2020

On 16/9/20 7:22 am, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 2:25 PM Peter Dufault <dufault at hda.com> wrote:
>>
>> I think that stating that "Due to a shared address space" RTEMS can't generate a "core dump" is wrong.
>>
>> For example, when a thread de-references a NULL pointer the rest of the application will be intact enough to create a "core dump".
>>
> That's fair. It depends on the fatal error though, and what has been
> corrupted already in memory. This is in general an unsafe thing to do
> without taking extra precautions, for example, by loading up a clean
> driver for your storage.

A NULL pointer access on ARM is caught by libdebugger and you are placed on the
instruction that faulted. Backtrace works on the faulting task and all the other
tasks can be inspected including their backtrace. The interesting part when it
happens a number of other tasks including libbsd are running happily.