Comments in spec files in rtems.git

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Tue Sep 22 01:38:14 UTC 2020

On 21/9/20 12:35 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 19/09/2020 02:43, Chris Johns wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can comments be added to the .yml files under specs in rtems.git?
> the problem with comments in YAML files is that they are not preserved if you
> parse the files and write them back.

Could we have a comment block that is a YAML field? Hmm I see a description
field, I wonder if that could serve this purpose. Is that field available in all
files?

>> I was looking over a few files and wonder if some comments would help.
> Could you give an example? Maybe we could add an attribute for this.

I picked this file at random ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/spec/build/bsps/optabi.yml

What does it do? It is needed in all BSP build files?

While this file ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/spec/build/bsps/tst.yml

... has something which indicates what it is for and I assume I could edit this
and add more detail, for example it is automatically picked up or it needs to be
included in XXX.

Then in a BSP ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/spec/build/bsps/powerpc/mvme5500/bspmvme5500.yml

... says nothing about the board, has no links.

There is no way to see the dependencies between all the files unless you build a
mental image ...

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/spec/build/bsps/powerpc/mvme5500/bspmvme5500.yml

and ../../opto2

What does this file do ...