Purpose of rtems_device_driver?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Sep 29 13:54:24 UTC 2020

On 29/09/2020 15:47, Sebastian Huber wrote:

> On 29/09/2020 15:42, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 8:37 AM Sebastian Huber
>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
>> <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     I work currently on the documentation of the IO Manager. What is the
>>     purpose of
>>
>>     typedef rtems_status_code rtems_device_driver;
>>
>>     ?
>>
>>     For me this looks a bit like camouflage.
>>

>> No. It is a use of typedef to make the purpose of the method clear.
>>
>> You have nibbled at these for years. There were at least types for
>> Classic Tasks, ASRs, and TSRs at one point.
> Yes, the typedefs to void.
>>
>> If this is the last one, I'm not going to fight it. This isn't the
>> hill I am
>> going to die on.
> I am not suggesting to remove them although I find these typedefs
> pretty odd. I just look for some documentation text.

What about this:

/**
  * @ingroup RTEMSAPIClassicIO
  *
  * @brief This type shall be used in device driver entry declarations and
  *   definitions.
  *
  * Device driver entries return an #rtems_status_code status code. This
type
  * definition helps to document device driver entries in the source code.
  */
typedef rtems_status_code rtems_device_driver;