OS Neutrality in Python Development Guidelines?

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Sun Apr 18 23:19:44 UTC 2021

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021, 5:29 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 16/4/21 3:28 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> > On 15/04/2021 22:58, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> >> I guess we should define something to add here? Is anything written
> >> somewhere we can adopt?
> > the spirit of the Python guide is to have rules which are enforced by
> tools.
>
> I see a guide as a means to provide robust and portable code in a common
> style
> where we document and learn from our experiences. Any forced line like
> needing a
> tool would create an artificial barrier where needed rules are not added
> because
> we do not have a tool. I doubt any of us would want that to happen.
>
> > If
> > a certain component should run on platform X, then I think some CI
> system should
> > be in place which runs the test suite on platform X.
>
> This is hard to do, costs money and is only as good as a tests. It is
> important
> but we should also use reviews as a way to catch issues.

Does the PEP cover this? If so, then some tool should exist to help.
Otherwise, we need some heuristics to at least flag an inspection.

I had a shell script years ago to check BSPs for some basic rules and fixed
a lot.  It was about the time we tried to be more standardized on file
names in BSPs and some methods would always be in a file of a particular
name. Not the brightest and hardest rules but the script could flag what
needs to be inspected.

> >> Was this considered at all under the pre-qual effort (which stimulated
> >> these guidelines in the first place)? Do we have a Windows blind spot
> >> in our Python code bases?
> > The Python modules in rtems-central should run on Windows, however, I
> never
> > tested this.
>
> A random pick of a file and a brief scan ...
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-central/tree/rtemsspec/interface.py#n313
>
> For generating code it is important to make sure you use the platform's
> line
> separator or git will get upset.

Ok. And a grep would find these. Is this part of PEP?

Are there files which should never have \n? All? Some?

Is there other things that can be enforced now or we build some script
which has a number of rules which we grow.