tcpreplay for testing network stacks

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijay at rtems.org
Wed Apr 28 17:00:52 UTC 2021

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 10:49 AM Christian Mauderer <oss at c-mauderer.de> wrote:

> Hello Vijay,
>
> On 28/04/2021 18:25, Vijay Kumar Banerjee wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 12:41 AM Christian MAUDERER
> > <christian.mauderer at embedded-brains.de> wrote:

> >> Sounds like an interesting tool.

> >> The more difficult problem could be the missing Mac and FreeBSD support.
> >>
> > That's a good point.
> >
> >> What would be the advantage of having tcpreply in rtems-tools? Do you
> >> want to use it for automated tests?
> >>
> > Yes. I was thinking about capturing the pcap format packets in
> > temporary files and then running tcpreplay to check for any network
> > issues. I haven't planned exactly how that will be implemented but
> > roughly this is the idea.
> >

> In what form would you automate that? Some test case in RTEMS or some
> special repository? I assume that you need some special setup for
> specific (simulator) targets anyway, don't you? So a general purpose
> test for all targets will be difficult.

I was not thinking about a special repository. It would be nice to
have it as test case or as an rtems-test config where the script will
capture the packets and feed them to tcpreplay.

> If it is about testing the stacks and not the drivers, it might would be
> possible to write some kind of dummy network driver that can read pcap
> format (or some other raw packet format) directly and hands the packets
> to the network stack. Such a driver maybe could even provide packets to
> a test frame again so that you can check responses.

The objective is to test the stacks. The dummy network driver sounds
like a great idea, thanks. I'll explore this direction more.