Having a problem with an out of the box setup for STM32F4

groups at chichak.ca groups at chichak.ca
Thu Aug 19 05:15:56 UTC 2021

I spent a bunch of time conversing with Chris Johns on Discord about this issue and Chris, with infinite patience, helped me find a possible issue.

Using rtems-exeinfo -O we noticed an issue

  | __atexit.c                        : -mcpu=arm7tdmi -marm -march=armv4t
  | __call_atexit.c                   : -mcpu=arm7tdmi -marm -march=armv4t
  | __gettod.c                        : -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -march=armv7e-m
  | __usrenv.c                        : -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -march=armv7e-m
  | _free_r.c                         : -mthumb -mcpu=cortex-m4 -march=armv7e-m
  | _isatty.c                         : -mcpu=arm7tdmi -marm -march=armv4t

Some of the routines are compiled for an arm7tdmi, and they are the ones in libgcc. Other routines are compiled for cortex-m4, which is appropriate for the STM32F4 family.

I tried to figure out where in the building of the compilers/libraries/RTEMS6 this was happening, and Chris, Gedare, and Joel were chanting MULTILIB MULTILIB MULTILIB.

I worked hard to understand the local vernacular “what is this MULTILIB thing they speak of?”, figured out that a set of functions got compiled 15 different ways for 15 ARM sub-architectures and stored in a single library (I think), but it started to make sense. If my code is linked with the wrong ARM variant arm of multilib, then my thumb processor could branch into a function that uses ARM instructions instead of thumb, or some thumb dialect that it doesn’t understand, that would be bad.

Doing an objdump of a test program came up with a different set of instructions than what I was seeing in gdb/eclipse.

From objdump, the first two instructions of memset are:

   9a04:       e3100003        tst     r0, #3
   9a08:       0a000040        beq     9b10 <memset+0x10c>

became (from gdb/eclipse)

00009a04: movs r3, r0
00009a06: b.n 0xa02a <strcmp+382>

The hex values at location 0x9a04, in the second case, were the same as shown in the first case.

This is what I’ve been seeing. Memset quickly branches to the middle of strcmp, then culminates in printk.

And memset is one of the routines that is compiled with -mcpu=arm7tdmi.

I’m not sure how to control what arm of the multilib gcc should use. Can you help?

Thanks,
Andrei