i386 and epiphany on FreeBSD 13 for rtems 5

Karel Gardas karel at functional.vision
Mon Dec 27 01:36:43 UTC 2021

On 12/24/21 6:56 PM, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> Remark: looks like you will not be able to keep tools from past working
>> on modern systems indefinitely which means you can also declare rtems5
>> tools support for FreeBSD 12.x max.
>
> Yep.
>
>> Or, what about to require installed gcc able to bootstrap cross-compiler
>> without issues? My pretty current FreeBSD 14 provides following gccs:
>
> Are these installed in a special directory where they can be ignored
> for rtems 6 or 7 tool builds? Sorry to ask but we want this FreeBSD 13
> VM to be easily in the preferred state for 5, 6, and 7 test sweeps.

Yes, in fact any version X (where X == 48, 8, 10 etc) installed results
in gccX binary (and other tools) in /usr/local/bin and in
/usr/local/lib/gccX directory for runtime libraries so README recommends to:

To ensure binaries built with this toolchain find appropriate versions
of the necessary run-time libraries, you may want to link using

  -Wl,-rpath=/usr/local/lib/gccX

>> I guess this is more than enough to throw away system wide clang and use
>> one of those?
>
> Except for using the same VM with different options/paths to build rtems
> 5, 6, and 7 in the preferred way. Help on that is appreciated.

Well, I guess it's always an option to modify PATH and create a rsb own
bin dir just for bootstrap where you can link all the required tools.
It's a question if it make sense to modify rsp directly for rtems5 to
support that automatically or just document requirements and few hints
how and what to do exactly in this case on modern FreeBSD.

Karel