Rules for Commit Messages

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Feb 10 15:05:37 UTC 2021

Hi

I was looking for guidance on how we write a commit message to provide it
to someone. Unfortunately, I don't see it in the Software Engineering Guide
although I admit I could have missed it.

I assume it would be something like this:

[area|file]: Brief description

Longer description hopefully giving a but of insight.

[ [closes|updates] #NNN.]

Commit message should be more useful than "fix bug" and give a solid
indication in the title which part of RTEMS it applies to. Specific file,
test, etc.or a functional area like a filesystem or scheduler.

Am I missing something?

--joel