Remaining Waf Conversion Tickets for Community and GSoC Students

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Wed Feb 10 15:19:58 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 8:40 AM Sebastian Huber <

> On 10/02/2021 15:27, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 11:20 PM Sebastian Huber
> > <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
> > <mailto:sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 08/02/2021 10:40, Chris Johns wrote:
> >     >> It is written in Python 3.6.
> >     > We still need to support python 2. Maybe having this file
> >     support both could be
> >     > part of the project.
> >     I think this BSP builder is a development tool which can use
> >     Python 3.
> >     It is useful to maintain RTEMS, but it is not a tool required for end
> >     users of RTEMS to develop applications. Independent of this, the
> >     Python
> >     2 end of life was a year ago.
> >

> > It is still the default Python on CentOS7 which is an even longer LTS
> > release
> > based on the recent CentOS changes.  I would consider it a primary
> > test tool
> > which should work on all hosts.
>
> According to this web site Python 3 is available since CentOS 7.7 though
> the standard repository:
>
> |yum update -y ||yum install -y python3 We should make a list of host
> computer systems
> we would like to support and then check if Python 3 is available. |||

This is different from what I have been doing. I have been using the
software collection for python3. The software collections do not change the
base environment and you have to explicitly switch to them. I do this when
working on the documentation.

scl enable rh-python36 bash

I installed python3. I now have this for tab-completion for python:

$ python
python            python2.7         python2-config    python3.6
python-config
python2           python2.7-config  python3           python3.6m
 python_count

Will the RTEMS Python code pick the Python3 automatically?

FWIW I think the qemu RSB script already needs Python3. I have had to
use the software collection version to build it for the past few months.

Whatever the answer is, we need to update the manual if we are
heading to a change in expectations.

--joel