Remaining Waf Conversion Tickets for Community and GSoC Students

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Feb 10 16:27:05 UTC 2021

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 9:20 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 9:58 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 7:28 AM Joel Sherrill <joel at rtems.org> wrote:

>> both could be
>> >

>> > It is still the default Python on CentOS7 which is an even longer LTS
>> release
>> > based on the recent CentOS changes.  I would consider it a primary test
>> tool
>> > which should work on all hosts.
>> >

>> I don't agree with the perspective. The BSP Builder is project
>> infrastructure, but not really intended or used by users AFAIK. Only
>> maintainers have any desire to build/test multiple architectures.
>>

> At least I run the BSP builder once a week on CentOS, FreeBSD, and
> Ubuntu and publish reports. It isn't user facing but it is a critical part
> of
> our project infrastructure. I'm more concerned about it being switched
> to waf than Python2/3 at the moment.
>
> Virtually everyone else uses one at a time via the RSB. CentOS has
>> never been a suitable development distro, it is stable for servers but
>> quickly outdated for rolling development. Just because some maintainer
>> may like it, does not strictly justify making project-level decisions
>> to cater to it.
>>
>> Python 2 is EOL, regardless of what distributions are doing about it.
>> We need to cut that off wherever it is sensible, to reduce our
>> maintenance burden. That is my two cents.
>>

> I wasn't complaining about Python2 support as much as saying
> CentOS 7 will be available much longer than we think in large
> enterprises that use RTEMS. Just need to figure out our approach.
>
> I'm more concerned with the RSB kernel recipe and bsp builder
> supporting waf. Those are immediate issues.

Ok. RSB is higher priority. From what I can tell, the BSP Builder has at
most 2 users ;) And if they want it to work, they might need to pony up.

>> > And we are already seeing the impact of the bsp-builder not supporting
>> waf:
>> >
>> > https://lists.rtems.org/pipermail/build/2021-February/025640.html
>> >
>> > 305 or ~1600 BSP builds failed because you can't build PowerPC BSPs
>> > using autoconf.

>> builder, being
>> what would
>> >
>> +1
>>

>> > This brings up a discussion I have been having with Kinsey. He
>> submitted BSP
>> > variants for the aarch64 ilp32 and ip64 multilibs but is heading to
>> making those
>> > BSP configure options. Not exposing them as variants makes them harder
>> to test.
>> > It is all the same code and same rtems-tester configuration information.
>> >
>> +1
>>
>> > Would we rather have BSP variants for something like this or have to
>> layer on
>> > more code to tweak BSP specific configure options when it really does
>> matter to
>> > the code generated?
>> >
>> > I am happy with clock speeds, memory address ranges, and RAM size being
>> > configure options we don't push through automated testing. Hit the
>> defaults
>> > and move along. But configure options that substantially change builds
>> like
>> > switching the multilib variant feels different.
>> >
>> I think a good litmus test is whether or not the source code has to
>> change.
>>

> No source code change for Kinsey's BSPs -- just different GCC settings.
> And we can test both variants on qemu. There is also relatively
> inexpensive
> hardware to run them on (when that documentation and tweaks is submitted).
>
> So this is not a case where BSP source code changes, just the gcc options.
>
> We have this case already in the RISC-V BSPs which have many multilib
> variants. If this is the preferred approach, we need to document it and I
> need to make sure Kinsey knows.

I'm not really convinced either way yet, and this discussion is getting
off-topic. We should probably have a new thread to compare/discuss these
two directions.