Device Drivers Which Include mkdir("/dev")

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Feb 18 15:55:58 UTC 2021

Hi

There are a lot of Coverity issues related to device drivers which call
mkdir("/dev") and ignore the return value. My first thought was that they
should have (void) added since /dev could have been created by an earlier
driver.

Then it occurred to me that libcsupport/src/base_fs.c includes
mkdir("/dev") and a fatal error if it cannot create it.

Doesn't this mean that every call to mkdir("/dev") in a BSP or device
driver is redundant? They should be removed since the base FS contents are
always in place before any device drivers are called.

Thoughts?

--joel