Status of clang-llvm builds? Related to powerpc-spe.

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Fri Jan 22 19:26:13 UTC 2021

The PowerPC Signal Processing Engine (powerpc-spe) is now gone from gcc and therefore from RTEMS (on the master branch).  It *appears* to be supported with Clang/LLVM on FreeBSD, apparently primarily to support some Amiga platforms (I think), I think it's supported beginning in FreeBSD 12.

RTEMS has appropriately pulled out support for the SPE.  Since in the applications I use the SPE is used via libraries from Motorola/Freescale/... that may be OK, but having support for the architecture would "look good" to my clients.

I'm not going to push for a project to switch to LLVM for the SPE targets, I don't have either the time or the money and I'm not going to ask my clients to fund it.  But I do want to know:

- What's the status of Clang/LLVM and RTEMS?  Is it production-ready and production-used on certain (RISCV?) platforms?
- Does anybody know anything the quality of the "powerpc-spe" support in Clang/LLVM?

This is must an exploratory question.  I don't have a plan to work on this soon.

Peter
Peter Dufault

This email is delivered through the public internet using protocols subject to interception and tampering.