Typical workflows for RTEMS-based development using Xilinx Zynq 7000

Stanislav Pankevich s.pankevich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 16:05:42 UTC 2021

 Hello everyone,

I am looking for information on how to start the development with RTEMS on
the Arty Z7 development board (Z7-20).

I see that there are at least two existing BSPs that could help me to get
started: xilinx_zynq_zc702 and xilinx_zynq_zedboard. I followed the
instructions for building these BSPs using the RTEMS toolchain and the Waf
build system and now I have the binaries of the RTEMS "hello world" program.

My immediate question: there seems to be two different approaches for
setting up development workflows: one using Xilinx tools (Vitis IDE, Xilinx
Software Command-line Tools and System Debugger XSDB) and a more
traditional one using GDB/OpenOCD. Being more familiar with the GDB/OpenOCD
approach, I was wondering which tools/workflows for working with Xilinx
Zynq are used or considered best practice by the RTEMS community.

Related question: does anyone have experience running RTEMS on the Z7-20
board? Any information that could help in reducing the setup/porting
efforts is appreciated.

Thank you for your attention.

Stanislav Pankevich