rtems-net-services submodule for networking stacks

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Thu Jun 24 23:17:26 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021, 5:43 PM Vijay Kumar Banerjee <vijay at rtems.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to move the common network services like telnetd, tftp, to a
> separate submodule rtems-net-services. This submodule will be added to
> the networking stacks, and built using their respective waf modules.
>
> The plan is to define macros from the legacy stack waf system, so that
> the net-services code (like tftp) can make use of the macros without
> hard coding any values (like the priority in telnetd).
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions in this direction.

I think this is a great idea and the only way to avoid duplication. I would
like to see it have services and what are now on network-demos.

The complexity is that the network demos are user facing samples and
examples. Even though they can be compiled with the default loopback
interface, they aren't interesting that way. They need a bsp/lab/stack
specific configuration and initialization.

The network configuration for them needs to be set up such that either
stack can be initialised and configured. This probably just means a method
called from the independent code and a netconfig.c file which can be
specified at configure time

Bonus points if the sample shows a network usage that is applicable in a
host environment, the application starts at main() and can be built native
or for RTEMS.

--joel