Potential GSoC Project - Covoar Change C-isms to C++

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Tue Mar 16 17:40:49 UTC 2021

Hi

I know GSoC students are looking for projects so I thought I would post
about a couple that have come up recently and don't have tickets and better
write ups.

The covoar tool in rtems-tools was originally written to use C style IO
(e.g. fprintf) instead of C++ streams and C style strings instead of
std::string.  This project is to convert all instances of those to C++.
Testing incrementally, careful review of output reports, and manual review
of changed error messages will be important to this being successful. Also
submitting focused patches will be a critical part of this. I suspect one
patch per file for each issue will be appropriate.

The person doing this will have to be able to run the test coverage
procedure.

As part of doing this, there may be other C-isms noticed which need to be
addressed.

--joel