About locks and concurrency rules for SMP systems

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Fri Mar 26 15:02:06 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 11:30 PM Richi Dubey <richidubey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response!
>
>> Each scheduler has its own lock. There are a couple of more locks involved.
>
> I understand.
>
> I backtracked a little and found that we have:
> _Thread_State_acquire_critical( the_thread, lock_context );
>
> to lock access to thread-specific variables.
>
> _Scheduler_Acquire_critical( scheduler, &lock_context
>
> to lock access to the current scheduler-specific data structures.
>
> What other locks do we have related to schedulers?

By definition, all locks relate to scheduling. The other major one
though would be _Thread_Dispatch_disable_critical and relatives like
_Thread_queue_Dispatch_disable, if you think of dispatching as part of
scheduling. However, the two operations are a little bit different.
Scheduling is selecting the next thread(s) to run, while dispatching
is actually making them run.