Writing code that takes time to run

Jan.Sommer at dlr.de Jan.Sommer at dlr.de
Sat May 22 12:24:09 UTC 2021

Yes, exactly.
For example if you want to block for 1s:
uint32_t cycles_per_tick = T_get_one_clock_tick_busy(void);
uint32_t cycles_per_sec = rtems_clock_get_ticks_per_second() * cycles_per_tick;
T_busy(cycles_per_sec);

It you take a look at the implementation of T_busy (https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/libtest/t-test-busy.c) it is just a loop which wastes count cpu cycles.
So the 1s is the time it blocks while being active on a CPU.

Of course this only holds true if the cpu frequency is constant during execution.
In most hardware cases this should be the case for RTEMS. I think by default energy saving is not used in BSPs.
I am not sure how qemu will behave. Does someone else have more information on this one?

Best regards

    Jan