Building a BSP for rtems7

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Nov 12 21:50:17 UTC 2021

On 13/11/21 12:46 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> On 11/11/2021 22:31, Joel Sherrill wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 12:56 PM Sebastian Huber
>> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>  wrote:

>>> Try to add
>>>
>>> __RTEMS_MAJOR__ = 7
>>>
>>> to the config.ini.
>> That isn't in the set dumped by bsp_defaults and using it didn't
>> appear to change anything.
>
> Ok, I seem to remember a discussion about this some time ago. Options with
>
> default: null
>
> cannot be changed by the user. I think for the RTEMS version the reason was that
> users should be forced to use the right tool chain.
>
> We could change the RTEMS version options to
>
> default: 6
>
> for example.
>
> At the moment you have to patch spec/build/cpukit/optvermaj.yml to build with a
> tool chain of the wrong version.

I think the major version is important enough and needed for development that a
top level waf option should be considered. I am not in favour of settings or INI
files because these can be archived in user projects. A user should be able to
move a config from 6 to 7 to 8 etc without changing it. An option can be used to
force the change.