CAN Options and Licensing, Testing, etc

Pavel Pisa ppisa4lists at pikron.com
Wed Apr 13 18:59:18 UTC 2022

Dear Prashanth,

On Wednesday 13 of April 2022 04:32:45 Prashanth S wrote:
> Have you determined how you will test CAN on BBB?
>
> I planned to test the CAN driver with another BBB running linux. And if CAN
> analyzer is economical then I would use that.

I think that testing against Linux kernel is good
option. AM3358 has to CAN controllers so if you can
find pin mux combination to connect CAN transceivers
to both then you can test and load/flood them directly
by the board. So I agree with this as a good environment
for development.

The BBB is probably relatively accessible for others too.

But if you would fit with writing/porting driver
for some other CAN interface which is available
under QEMU it would be great. I.e. SJA1000 on PCI/e
on x86 and may be some other target or  Zynq UltraScale+
MPSo on QEMU it would be nice to have ability to test
driver by everybody and writing at least one other to BBB
would help to define API which would fit more targets better
even in future.

Other option is to add writing BBB CAn controller support
for QEMU, but I think that it would be too much load.

I suggest to focus mainly on CAN anyway and left ADC as
optional task if the time remains...

When RTEMS has reasonable CAN API it would be big GSoC
achievement.

Best wishes,

Pavel