rtems-tools: DWARF5 support in Elftoolchain

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Mon Aug 22 22:10:29 UTC 2022

On 23/8/2022 2:39 am, Ryan Long wrote:
> Covoar has been unable to run after upgrading to GCC 12 because by default it
> generates DWARF5 debug info. Covoar uses libdwarf from Elftoolchain to read the
> debug info, and libdwarf only supports DWARF versions 2 through 4.
>
> I submitted a ticket notifying Elftoolchain about this issue
> (https://sourceforge.net/p/elftoolchain/tickets/611/).

The mailing list maybe get a response:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/elftoolchain/lists/elftoolchain-developers

The project accepts patches on this list.

> At the moment, you can get coverage to run just by going into
> rtems-tools/rtemstoolkit/elftoolchain/libdwarf/libdward_info.c at line 228 and
> changing
>
> cu->cu_version > 4

> cu->cu_version > 5

I see FreeBSD still limits itself to 4:

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-src/blob/main/contrib/elftoolchain/libdwarf/libdwarf_info.c#L228

I wonder if asking on freebsd-hackers about the future could provide an insight.
They will have to update at some point.