For GSoC: RTEMS release notes new generator

Mahmoud Abumandour ma.mandourr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:43:01 UTC 2022

Hello all,

Here, I present the current output of the new release notes generator that
will be used in the release generation process. Currently, the generator is
capable is generating markdown and reStructuredText. Both have minor flaws
that, in my opinion, are somewhat acceptable.

You can find a sample Markdown PDF for the 4.11.3 milestone here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_aKZcJi6c2DX7bCXgt6R9gvVdXgn5Sm/view?usp=sharing

And its reStructuredText counterpart here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mntfWm6gnHPUpliwHS_ClJYjjnMOhZZV

The generator has been tested on generating files for the following dot
releases 4.11.3, 5.1, 5.2, and 6.1 and it produces decent documents for all
of them.

You can access the code here and test it yourself:
https://github.com/i3abghany/release-notes-generator

For integrating the generator in the release workflow, do you recommend a
certain way to go by in doing this? Maybe use the code as a submodule in
the `rtems-release` repository and call it from the `rtems-release-notes`
script in it?

Also, the generator was initially designed to produce notes for *one* dot
release at a time, but I found out the current generator goes up from the
supplied *version *to the specified *revision*. Is this the desired
behaviour in the new generator as well? I am asking as I took over
development in the new generator and it did not conform to this behaviour,
and I didn't know that it was followed in the `rtems-release` scripts.

Thanks,
Mahmoud