Older gcc for MacOS

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Fri Jan 7 22:34:43 UTC 2022

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 4:17 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org> wrote:

> On 8/1/22 8:28 am, Ryan Long wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Our MacOS VM is failing to build several of the tools on the RTEMS 5 branch. We
> > think that using an older version of gcc should get all of the tools to build. I
> > tried build gcc-4.8 with the RSB, but I get the following error.
> >

> > tester at VM-MacOS bare % ../source-builder/sb-set-builder
> > --prefix=${HOME}/rtems-cron-5/tools/gcc-48 gnu-tools-4.8.2
> > RTEMS Source Builder - Set Builder, 5 (6225eadda1de modified)
> > Build Set: gnu-tools-4.8.2
> > error: gnu-tools-4.8.2:24: cannot find file: devel/gcc-4.8.2-newlib-cvs-1
> > Build Set: Time 0:00:00.000607
> > Build FAILED
> >

> > Does anyone know how to get these tools to build?
> >

> It looks like the recipe has rotted.

Was there a native gcc recipe? The name includes newlib which would
imply it is intended for use with RTEMS.

Also clearly old with cvs in the name.

Having the ability to build an older gcc would ease the burden of
using 5 on newer FreeBSD, Linux, etc with stricter compilers. As
with everything, doing it with the RSB gives us control.

--joel