Update of STM32h7 BSP HAL.

Karel Gardas karel at functional.vision
Sun Jan 16 20:59:21 UTC 2022

Folks,

I'm investigating possibility of updating HAL code in STM32h7 BSP which
should bring a new MCUs support in. Currently what RTEMS is missing is
support for following H7 family members:

        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h723xx.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h725xx.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h730xx.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h730xxq.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h733xx.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h735xx.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h745xg.h
        bsps/arm/stm32h7/include/stm32h747xg.h

I've entered a ticket for it: https://devel.rtems.org/ticket/4580 already.

Now, the HAL code in BSP comes from following two projects of STM hosted
on github:

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/stm32h7xx_hal_driver.git
https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7.git

the merged files were touched during the integration and contains RTEMS
related changes. Unfortunately originally merged files were using CRLF
line endings (AFAIK), while RTEMS developer(s) added lines with LF line
endings (AFAIK). This means that now majority of files are using mixed
line endings:

rtems at silence:~/git/rtems/rtems-6/bsps/arm/stm32h7$ git ls-files
--eol|grep mixed|wc -l
216

To make matter even worse, original projects (with URL above) are now
using LF line endings -- or that what I get when cloning them on Linux.

Now, due to mixed line endings in RTEMS and due to LF line endings in
upstream I'm a bit out of idea how to perform as clean and as pain-less
as possible merge of updated upstream files.

I think that the most clean merge may simply replace all HAL files with
a new version and then try to apply all accumulated RTEMS changes on top
of those and hope nothing breaks in current support. I tested simply
just replacing files and when doing git diff -b to ignore line endings
changes the resulting diff was ~117k lines long. I'm afraid even if I
try to do that job myself I would not be able to push that to you
thorough the mailing list limits, would I?

My motivation: just got stm32h735g-dk discovery kit which is supported
by the new HAL code and not by the code in RTEMS.

By any chance is anybody here with commit access planning to update HAL
code in stm32h7 BSP? I'm asking since I would certainly not like to step
on someone else work here.
If the update is not planned then I would appreciate any idea how to
proceed with it on my own...

Thanks!
Karel