New validation test suites

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Jan 18 09:29:52 UTC 2022

On 18/01/2022 02:20, Chris Johns wrote:
> On 17/1/22 8:51 pm, Sebastian Huber wrote:

>>> A release has tarballs of sources and not git repos so I am not sure how
>>> branches help? How does the submodules in rtems-central get captured? The
>>> current release scripts expand sub-modules which means they need to reconcile or
>>> we will have different copies of the code in the release.
>>>
>>> At the point of release how does the release manager know the rtems-central
>>> scripts match the generated sources in the down stream repos that are released?
>>
>> The rtems-central contains nothing relevant to an user of RTEMS. There is no
>> need to provide a release archive. The purpose of the branch is the maintenance
>> of an RTEMS release branch.
>
> This thread indicates my position about releases needing to be solved to move
> forwards. This patch set is the first export from rtems-central that we cannot
> maintain outside of rtems-central. It has been a requirement of the qual effort
> that we can cleanly separate the two parts and accepting these patches changes
> that. I still have real reservations about that happening.

Most patches for release branches are back ports from the master (git
cherry-pick). It is not likely that you have to work with rtems-central
for release branches. In the worst case you just have to remove/disable
a validation test.

The existing tests covered more or less a certain scenario. The new
validation use pre-conditions and post-conditions relevant to a
directive call. They usually cover the existing test scenarios as
special cases, however, they execute and validate all valid variants of
the pre-condition states. So, they cover a lot of corner cases. This
approach discovered several small bugs and also some critical bugs in
the SMP scheduler framework. The test coverage is quite high in the
operating system core services. It is likely that bug fixes or
improvements in this area will lead to changes in the specification.

>>> Which is a concern and why a release needs to check and make sure everything is
>>> in sync.
>>>
>>> Ideally the rtems-central submodule hashes match the release tarball sources for
>>> each repo. This is the task as I see it.
>>>
>>> I am sure this can be resolved and I prefer it happens before being pushed so it
>>> is not left as a task for the release manager.
>>
>> The only way to reduce the gap between the RTEMS version referenced by
>> rtems-central and the RTEMS master is to integrate patch sets step by step. Some
>> patch sets are specific to the sparc/leon3 BSPs and the build system.
>
> If rtems.git is a submodule where are the changes being held?

The pre-qualification branches are in my personal repository:

https://git.rtems.org/sebh/rtems.git/

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER