Problem with STM32 HAL license

Karel Gardas karel at functional.vision
Mon Jun 13 16:38:09 UTC 2022

On 6/13/22 18:27, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> This impacts other imports from STM so I am curious what Karel,
> Sebastian, and Andrei are seeing for the license in the code they are
> importing and what they plan to do.

So far on H7, the HAL used is older code base which is clearly BSD-3
license:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/arm/stm32h7/hal/stm32h7xx_hal.c#n22

however to support new boards or peripherals I've imported few files
which use the same unclear license message. I've clarified it in any
imported file like:

https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/arm/stm32h7/boards/stm/stm32h757i-eval/system_stm32h7xx.c#n35

the problem is obviously scalability of this solution and future merges.
You can do that one one/two board files, but probably not on whole HAL
with ~100 files.
I also remember that Sebastian recommended to completely replace this
license note with the specified license (to which note points). But I've
not done that due to reluctancy of touching STM license notes here and
hence came with committer clarification message below every such note.

Hence I asked Duc on discord to ask here for advice. BTW, new HAL for H7
will be probably in the same situation like Duc seing with current F4.

https://github.com/STMicroelectronics/STM32CubeH7/blob/master/Drivers/STM32H7xx_HAL_Driver/Src/stm32h7xx_hal.c

So we definitely need to find a solution to this issue.

Thanks,
Karel