Problem with STM32 HAL license

Joel Sherrill joel at rtems.org
Mon Jun 13 17:01:30 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 11:57 AM Gedare Bloom <gedare at rtems.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:38 AM Karel Gardas <karel at functional.vision>
> wrote:
> >
> > On 6/13/22 18:27, Joel Sherrill wrote:
> > > This impacts other imports from STM so I am curious what Karel,
> > > Sebastian, and Andrei are seeing for the license in the code they are
> > > importing and what they plan to do.
> >
> > So far on H7, the HAL used is older code base which is clearly BSD-3
> > license:
> >

> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/arm/stm32h7/hal/stm32h7xx_hal.c#n22
> >
> > however to support new boards or peripherals I've imported few files
> > which use the same unclear license message. I've clarified it in any
> > imported file like:
> >

> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/bsps/arm/stm32h7/boards/stm/stm32h757i-eval/system_stm32h7xx.c#n35
> >
> > the problem is obviously scalability of this solution and future merges.
> > You can do that one one/two board files, but probably not on whole HAL
> > with ~100 files.
> > I also remember that Sebastian recommended to completely replace this
> > license note with the specified license (to which note points). But I've
> > not done that due to reluctancy of touching STM license notes here and
> > hence came with committer clarification message below every such note.
> >

> My preference here would be to use injection of the committer comment,
> along with the addition of the SPDX tag at the top line. You should be
> able to automate this injection even for 100+ files, as long as they
> are using the same license. Keeping these changes together at the top
> of the file should also help handle merge problems if updates are
> pulled later.

What do you mean "injection of the committer comment"? Do you mean
Karel's example? Or just something in the git commit?

If we can name this for SPDX, that would be great. Ideally all files have
an SPDX annotation and that points to a unique master copy of the license
at the top of the RTEMS source tree.

I've suggested an "origin" file before where details like Karel captured
can be placed once in a directory.

--joel