rtems-lwip file locations and licensing

Vijay Kumar Banerjee vijay at rtems.org
Fri Mar 4 17:22:43 UTC 2022

Hi Kinsey,

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 9:47 AM Kinsey Moore <kinsey.moore at oarcorp.com> wrote:

> I was looking though the rtems-lwip tree in adding license files and it struck me that we currently have code with possibly different licenses and from different external sources merged into the same tree with possibly differing paths from the original source locations. There is at least one file in the uLan sources that does not have an embedded license and the current setup makes discerning its license confusing. I could add what I think is the correct license, but I'd much prefer not to add licenses to the code given that I'm not the author.
>
> That said, I'd like to suggest that we keep code from each external source in its own directory. Currently, the external sources are upstream lwIP and the uLan projects with their code being merged into a single tree with some changes to the location of uLan's files. My suggestion would move all uLan code to a uLan/ directory in the root of the rtems-lwip repository and each COPYING.<source> license file as well. Each new driver source would get its own directory and COPYING file in the root of the repository as necessary.

Sounds like a very reasonable approach and we can move the sources
according to the source of drivers. We might have to keep a list of
all directories in the waf, to keep the build system working. The
reason for keeping the files in one place was to have a similar
structure as the net-legacy. We can use a directory structure
according to the sources, but we will have to use a good way to make
sure that the directories/source files are easier to navigate for
humans and build system scripts.