Fwd: Identify 3rd party source in spec?

Kinsey Moore kinsey.moore at oarcorp.com
Tue Nov 1 20:23:08 UTC 2022

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 11:25 AM <oss at c-mauderer.de> wrote:

> Hello Gedare,
>
> Am 31.10.22 um 20:01 schrieb Gedare Bloom:
> > Resending without the first patch since it may trigger size filters.

I agree that an implicit "third-party: false" is preferable.

> Do we need some additional information / scripts / stuff for third party
> code? Like an upstream source or upstream version? For example the JFFS2
> code has a VERSION file with lots of information:
>
> https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/cpukit/libfs/src/jffs2/VERSION

I don't think this should be required for the initial implementation with
existing 3rd party source, but it would be good to define how we do this
for any new 3rd party source that is brought in. Adding this for existing
3rd party inclusions could easily be a janitor task.

For rtems-lwip, I've been enforcing addition of an ORIGIN.* file for new
source imports with an upstream commit hash in the commit message, but that
was added basically from the beginning and almost all directories in the
root of that project are 3rd party source imports that have pretty clear
origin, upstream, and licensing.