Add Formal Verification chapter v2

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Nov 16 16:44:38 UTC 2022

Hi Andrew,

I guess I was overly optimistic last night. The note on the front
matter should be resolved before we push the full documentation. I
guess it's a bit of chicken-and-egg but the documentation should be
pushed concurrent with the software that it documents. So, when there
is a `formal` folder in `rtems-central` then it makes sense to push
this documentation. I think the documentation is valuable, but I'm not
sure how relevant it is without the associated tooling?

We probably need to rearrange this section slightly to accommodate the
possibility (extant) of other formal verification approaches. I think
I'd like to see Sections "9.2 Formal Tools Setup" and 9.4 through the
end of the section become nested beneath "9.3 Modelling RTEMS with
Promela". Add a new section 9.2 to introduce the different approaches
that have/are/might be used to formally verify RTEMS. This will allow
alternatives to be documented and acknowledged by the RTEMS Project.

There's a bunch of terminology that is introduced in this chapter
without additions to the glossary/index. I think we need some
definitions added there to complement the new material. At the very
least I would like to see definitions added for the keywords that are
defined especially in the introduction:
* semantics, formal model, artifact, refinement, LTL
Once those are defined, the terms should be linked to the glossary.
You can see how this is done for example in Section 5.3.4 Traceability
between Software Requirements, Architecture and Design. Glossary
definitions can/should link to each other as relevant.

"To avoid using (long) absolute pathnames to the tools directory" ...
--> maybe it makes sense for you to provide these as part of the env?
Is this stuff using venv or something else?

incomplete section header? "need to explain how to configure testbuilder"
RTMES typo in that section

In section "9.2.2 Running Test Generation" please add some notion of
what is the expected output that one would be checking in the step
"use a simulator to run ts-model-0.exe directly."

There is overuse of double quotations throughout. Sometimes double
quotes are being used to introduce terminology, avoid that. Sometimes
double quotes appear in section headings, avoid that. Prefer to use
double quotes only for quoting (e.g., from references or tool output).
Most cases of the double quotes use in this document should be
eliminated.

In section "9.4 Promela to C Refinement" what is the name of the YAML
file? Is there more than one, or is it unique.

Some of the text that provides examples of how to do some of this
might be suited to a new How-To subsection such as in the end of the
"BSP Build System" section.

In Section "9.6 Test Generation Maintenance" please refer to Section
"Software Development Management" instead of hard-coding the patch
submission process.

Section 9.7 "RTEMS Formal Model Guide" seems like it includes both
some aspects of a How-To but also a lot of details that might be
better as a separate document specific to the Promela/Verification
detailed implementation. The point of the RTEMS Software Engineering
manual is to provide developers with the guidelines of how to work
with RTEMS. This section is very detailed about the implementation of
specific models and feels unbalanced with the rest of the new section.
For example, this section is about 3/5 of the entire "Formal
Verification" section.

Gedare

On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 3:57 AM Andrew.Butterfield at scss.tcd.ie