RPi 4B MMU seems to be enabled but throwing aarch64-default-exception error

Alan Cudmore alan.cudmore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 03:47:48 UTC 2022

Hey Noor,
I probably have more questions than answers at this point, as I'm just
learning how all of this works too. Some comments inline below:

On Sun, Sep 4, 2022 at 6:13 AM Noor Aman <nooraman5718 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
> Some doubts here:
> 1) On inspecting the raspberry pi 3 config table, I only seem to have 2
> entries, one is for peripheral base, the other one for core local
> peripherals. I have updated the MMU with peripheral base, ARM local
> registers, and ARMC register. If I'm correct then, the Videocore should
> handle every address of uarts, spi and others, right? or am I missing
> something?

Does the RAM need to be included? For example, the xilinx-versal BSP has an
entry for RAM, but the xilinx-zynqmp does not.
The RT-Thread Memory/MMU table has more entries than we need for
GIC/UART/Timer/RAM right now, but would those ranges cover the complete set
of peripherals and RAM? I'm not sure why the memory entry they have only
covers 100Mbytes of RAM:
https://github.com/RT-Thread/rt-thread/blob/master/bsp/raspberry-pi/raspi4-64/driver/board.c#L25

> 2) Raspberry pi 3 kernel starts from 0x200000 and the MMU is mapped
> starting from 0x100000. My question is if the aarch64 kernel starts from
> 0x80000, then where should the MMU start from? I'm assuming it does not
> start from 0x0 because my current code's MMU starts from that and it's very
> likely that this is causing problems.
>
> Figure 1 in the BCM2711 shows the different memory mapping modes:
https://datasheets.raspberrypi.com/bcm2711/bcm2711-peripherals.pdf
I believe we should be looking at the one on the right "ARM view of the
address map in low peripheral mode". The "ARM view" here shows the RAM at
0x0. Having the kernel at 0x80000 fits in this view. In other words, the
ARM view has memory start at 0 and the kernel is loaded at the 0x80000
offset.

3) Any more suggestions? Glad to receive them.

In the bsp.h file, I think the defines need to be changed:
#define BSP_RPI4_PL011_BASE 0x7e201000
should be
#define BSP_RPI4_PL011_BASE 0xFE201000
That matches what I see in RT-Thread, and makes sense given the following
from the peripherals guide:
"If the VPU enables "Low Peripheral" mode then the ARM (only) has Main
peripherals available from 0x0_FC00_0000 to 0x0_FF7F_FFFF and ARM Local
peripherals available from 0x0_FF80_0000 to 0x0_FFFF_FFFF.
So a peripheral described in this document as being at legacy address
0x7Enn_nnnn is available in the 35-bit address space at 0x4_7Enn_nnnn, and
visible to the ARM at 0x0_FEnn_nnnn if Low Peripheral mode is enabled."

So what about the GIC addresses?
In bsp.h you have:
#define BSP_ARM_GIC_CPUIF_BASE 0x08010000
#define BSP_ARM_GIC_DIST_BASE 0x08000000
#define BSP_ARM_GIC_REDIST_BASE 0x080A0000
In RT-Thread they use addresses starting at 0xFF840000 (I think..) Should
these be offset as well?

Thanks,
Alan