Change build specification files from YAML to JSON?

Gedare Bloom gedare at rtems.org
Wed Apr 26 20:58:27 UTC 2023

Is the result of this discussion to use CSafeLoader for now? Or do we
still debate the transition to JSON?

I see some quirks need to be dealt with as you mentioned with the
multi-line stuff. The yaml is pretty simple to understand and work
with. I've dealt with hand-editing JSON and it's a pain with the
quotes and brackets/braces.

Since the transition is (apparently) an implementation detail, I don't
actually see that it matters do it now or do it after releasing 6. If
it doesn't change the user experience other than build time, then it
should matter when we do it. In that case, better to be conservative
to avoid rushing to push something this major so close to a release.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 2:30 AM Sebastian Huber
<sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de> wrote:
> On 26.04.23 00:37, Chris Johns wrote:
> > On 26/4/2023 4:01 am, Sebastian Huber wrote:
> >> We have a fraction of a second if we use the CSafeLoader and no item cache.
> >> Currently we use the SafeLoader which results in about 5 seconds. I would like
> >> to use the build system for more stuff, so this could grow to 10, 15, or more
> >> seconds which then start to get annoying if you work frequently with it.
> > Then please outline what all you have in mind and what the long term plan is
> > then we can consider the overall direction.
>
> We work on a prototype to build libbsd, lwip, abseil-cpp, googletest,
> jsoncpp, libsodium, nats.c, protobuf, protobuf-c, utf8_range, cfs,
> zephyr, chip vendor HALs, etc. with the RTEMS build system.

This is interesting although it appears to be quite a bit of scope
creep. I guess the intent is to help with traceability of these
projects too?

-Gedare