RSB repo commits need approval

oss at c-mauderer.de oss at c-mauderer.de
Fri Apr 28 17:48:50 UTC 2023

Hello Joel,

Am 28.04.23 um 00:19 schrieb Joel Sherrill:

> On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:06 PM Chris Johns <chrisj at rtems.org
> <mailto:chrisj at rtems.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     All RSB repo commits need to be posted for review and independent
>     approval given
>     before being pushed to the top level repo.
>

> I thought this was the policy for all top level repositories. There is a
> degree of trust
> on any posted patch that it has been tested by the submitter with the
> understanding
> that things do slip through. If someone is regularly submitting
> modifications without
> testing them, then we have a larger problem.

Regarding the policy: I think that is documented in the rtems.git in the
MAINTAINERS-file:

   https://git.rtems.org/rtems/tree/MAINTAINERS

We have a few people who are trusted to distinguish between patches that
can be pushed without review and patches that should get a review while
all other should post a patch for review and wait at least for a few
days before pushing it (for BSP specific stuff) or need an acknowledge
(for general stuff).

Chris: Is that a temporary rule for the blanket write privilege
maintainers while trying to reach a stable release version? Is there a
difference between the tools starting with "6/" (which should be the
release version) and the ones that start with "7/" (which are more or
less an unstable test version)?

Best regards

Christian