libbsd development policy clarification needed?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de
Tue Feb 7 07:37:17 UTC 2023

On 06.02.23 20:47, Gedare Bloom wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Sebastian Huber
> <sebastian.huber at embedded-brains.de>  wrote:
>> On 06.02.23 16:06, Gedare Bloom wrote:
>>> Yes, thanks. This looks like a good analysis. I would definitely
>>> prefer to get master and 6-freebsd-12 into harmony. Then it is a
>>> little simpler to discuss the other problems in libbsd.
>>>
>>> Vijay had similar kind of success (and problems) as you did with
>>> cherry-picking off of 6-freebsd-12. I think he made it a little
>>> further. I guess one possible route forward would be to begin working
>>> on this effort and share results, pushing to master when some
>>> relatively stable milestones are reached.
>> This branch already contains an update to FreeBSD head 2020-02-09 (about
>> 5 months of FreeBSD development):
>>
>> https://github.com/RTEMS/rtems-libbsd/compare/master...sebhub:rtems-libbsd:master-update
>>
>> If you start to cherry-pick things to the current master, this effort
>> from my side is probably wasted.
>>
> Would it be viable to still cherry-pick on to your updated master?
>
> The farther these branches get from each other the more effort will be
> wasted by everyone. Either we continue to maintain two branches, or we
> at some point decide how to continue from this master branch. It would
> be good to know if NFSv4 is indeed fully supported for EPICS users
> without the changes made by Chris in 6-freebsd-12.

The first four patches (up to and including "ntp: Port to RTEMS") are
ready to get integrated. The two NFS/VFS patches are not ready.

The update to FreeBSD head 2020-02-09 was not arbitrary. The
6-freebsd-12 branch is based on FreeBSD stable/12 2020-02-10. This
should make it easier to cherry pick changes from 6-freebsd-12 to master
for example for the Xilinx drivers.

--
embedded brains GmbH
Herr Sebastian HUBER